Thursday, August 20, 2009

Revolutionary Road

Just watched it. Wish I'd seen it in the theater. It was affecting on TV -- would have been more so there. I kind of knew the shape of the story because I'd read a student paper about it, but I don't think I would have been surprised by anything that happened.

There were a couple of scenes that made it seem like a play, in a bad way. And there was one shot I predicted. Maybe that's not a bad sign -- maybe it's just a consequence of watching a lot of movies. I liked the narrative structure -- I was surprised not to see more flashback scenes, but the movie didn't need them.

I should watch American Beauty again -- I really loved some of the visuals in that, ones that have kind of become jokes now because the movie was so popular. (The plastic bag, the pool of blood.) This had some great visuals, too. The details of the house, the costumes, the light.

Definitely worth watching, but not when you're in a very good or very bad mood. Its bleakness is unrelenting, broken up only by the details. (Details, I suppose, that could save someone's life if he or she was able to notice them and take comfort in their beauty.)

No comments: