I'm supposed to be on a train right now. Instead, I'm still in Philly, watching my friends' jazz band playing at a yoga studio.
It's starting to look like a long, strange trip ahead, so I might as well start documenting it now. I was supposed to take the train to New Orleans today. It's been a rough winter, and I'm so ready to travel someplace warm(er). Plus there's been a lot of buzz about Amtrak Writers' Residencies, something I've been doing unofficially for years. Time to write, and think, and look out the window at the Southern states passing me by...
So I bought round-trip train tickets in the depths of winter doldrums, and then switched the date (no charge) when I realized my friends' band would be in NOLA on Monday night.
Today was fine. I had lots of work to do to get ready for the trip, and I did as much as I could. I had to buy an external hard drive at the Mac store because I didn't have time to process all my photos, and then I went to DiBruno Bros. and got subs to sustain me through the 28-hour train ride. I got to 30th St. Station an hour early -- exactly when I wanted to be there. I got some coffee, hung out, and when my train came up on the board, I got in line and waited. And waited. And got nervous at about 4:00 (the train was scheduled for 3:55). No real reason -- Amtrak trains are frequently late. But I got out of line to check the board, and suddenly my train was no longer listed! Horror!
I went to the counter, and of course, the train had left, right on time. And I already knew this: the next train is not until tomorrow. I also already knew that Amtrak is great about changing tickets. I have missed a few Amtrak trains, but never for such a dopey reason.
So I went to the counter, and the very kind agent changed my ticket to tomorrow, and it cost me $60 more because tomorrow's train is just more expensive (still no change fee).
I left the counter, and texted my friend Dan to tell him I wouldn't make it to the show. And then I cried a little.
And then I pulled myself together. I'm a pretty casual traveler. The adventure begins when you're scheduled to leave. You can always find alternate routes, if you're determined enough to try.
So I found a flight that was cheaper than the revised train itinerary. I went back to the counter and asked if I could change the destination on my ticket and save it for later. The agent offered me a full refund, even though it was completely MY FAULT!
If all goes according to plan tomorrow, I should get to New Orleans three hours earlier, which will give me more time to get to the show. (It would actually have been a long shot to make it if I had taken the train -- I've often been on Amtrak trains that got in hours late.) And I'll take the train back on Thursday.
I went home and made some tea and figured out a faster solution for uploading photos. And now here I am, watching my friends play great music. I didn't need two 28 hour train trips. I didn't need 28 hours right now to reflect on a tough winter. I need to get to NOLA as soon as I can, and have a great time, and reflect on that great time on the train ride back. I am enjoying the adventure for whatever it is. That's why I love traveling so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment