Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sky Blue Sky

Got to listen to an advance copy of Wilco's new album Sky Blue Sky, which comes out May 15th. I'm so excited about this album -- I can't wait to see them play the songs live at Bonnaroo. I listened to it once through and immediately started playing it again. It's more country, more Uncle-Tupelo-like than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost is Born. I can hear a lot of The Band's influence, actually, which could just be because I've listened to The Band a lot lately. Lots of The Band-style organ, lots of slide guitars and banjo. A mix of up-tempo and melancholy songs. Tweedy's vocals are sometimes Dylan-esque, more so than usual. I'm reminded of my parents' old Skyy records, too. I'll post a real review eventually, but my first impression is that I LOVE this album.

The next day:
Just so as not to unintentionally disappoint any Wilco fans: I feel I should point out that the new album is not Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I listened to it again today, after listening to Summerteeth, and I stand by my earlier comments about it. I think it is a good, solid Wilco album (like Summerteeth and Being There), and I am excited to hear the songs live. But Yankee Hotel Foxtrot might be/probably is my favorite album of all time, and I will be very surprised if Wilco is ever able to duplicate its awesomeness. I listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot again after the new album, and I'm now into A Ghost is Born, which I also love, possibly more than the new album. So, to summarize, Yankee is first in my book, then probably Ghost, and then Sky Blue Sky. Which is not a commentary on the new album, really, just on the previous albums' greatness. It also might have something to do with the general character of these albums as they relate to my personal taste. Melancholy albums have more staying power, for me. All three of these albums have a mix of melancholy and upbeat songs, but I think the new one is sunnier overall, and maybe simpler too.

March 23-24, 2007

No comments: