Monday, August 20, 2007

How to Make a Journal of Your Life

I picked up D. Price's book, How to Make a Journal of Your Life because Danny Gregory often mentioned Daniel Price in The Creative License, and after reading The Creative License I was hungry for more inspiration. I ordered it from Amazon and I was surprised at how little it is -- just a small book, not big like Gregory's. It's also fairly basic encouragement for adults who have been away from art for a long time, sort of like Gregory's. But it has some good ideas about how to make illustrated, scrapbook-like journals, and some pep talks about why to do it. There are also some sample pages from Price's Moonlight Chronicles zine at the end, enough to make me want to read more. One thing I like about Price is that he seems to have a nice relationship with his kids. He's always taking them off on adventures and making art with them. They are the center of his world in a non-creatively-draining way. I'll definitely check out more of his art, but I'm not sure I'd recommend How to Make a Journal of Your Life -- it works best in addition to other materials, I think. But with that said it would make a great little gift for someone who is beginning to explore scrapbooking or journaling, especially someone who could use a lifeline off the Creative Memories hamster wheel.

No comments: