Friday, August 8, 2008

Once

I really loved this movie, so much that I forgave it some little writing inconsistencies that would bug me in a more commercial film. I wondered how it would be different with a bigger budget, but when I watched the extras I learned that the budget was small on purpose. The director wanted to work on a small budget so there would be less pressure.

About half of the movie consists of the "actors" playing music. I originally thought that choice was made due to budget constraints. But now I assume it was more or less intentional. I like the way the music scenes melt into character montages that give us more information about the story. I also think that because the music features so prominently, it becomes the real romance of the film, a substitute for a physical relationship. Playing music is so important to the characters that it makes sense for it to make up so much of their interaction, especially in the first half of the movie when they're just getting to know each other.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I'd like to get into writing mini-reviews more often so I don't have to wait for a big block of writing time.

2 comments:

aghost said...

i watched this film four times in three days...it made me want to do better and to be better

Elizabeth Thorpe said...

Yeah, I've watched it three times so far. I keep waking up with the songs in my head.